Business Up In Your Business Radio Show

How to Apply for the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP)

And how these strange times fit in to the Easter season.

This week on my radio show, Up In Your Business, the returning guest from Arkansas’s Small Business Administration, State Director Edward Haddock, went over the new programs currently rolling out for small businesses. Having applied for both the Economic Injury Disaster Loan and the Paycheck Protection Program Grant, I felt it was important for me to share my experience with my listeners and demystify the process for my business peers. Here is what I learned:

Economic Injury Disaster Loan

  • This is an easy 5-page application with no documentation uploads.
  • You are given $1,000 per employee, up to but not to exceed $10,000
  • The money is deposited directly into your bank account, so have your bank account and routing number ready
  • You need some information from your 2019 end of year financials, so have that accessible, too.

Paycheck Protection Program Grant

  • This must be done through a bank. If you don’t have a bank, go to and get a list of participating banks in your area.
  • You will be given 2.5 times your average monthly payroll.
  • 75% of this grant must be used for payroll the other 25% may be used for rent, mortgages, and utilities.
  • Documents you will need to fill out for the application and upload (though, in the below list, there are some requests for 2020 information, I did not submit any 2020 information, I just did 2019 year)
  • 2019 Payroll Cost and YTD Payroll Cost through February 15, 2020
  • Number of employees as of December 31, 2019
  • Number of employees as of February 15, 2020
  • Industry or business classification (NAICS Code which can be found on tax return)
  • IRS Form 940 Employers Annual Federal Unemployment Tax Return (FUTA) (mine was at the end of your last quarter report)
  • IRS Form 941 Employer’s Quarterly Federal Tax Return
  • Payroll Summary Report 2019 with corresponding bank statements
  • W2 Summary
  • List of employees earning more than $100,000 in compensation (salary, wages, commission and tips)
  • 1099 Summary
  • Breakdown of payroll benefits (vacation, allowance for dismissal, group healthcare benefits, retirement benefits, etc.)
  • in order to upload your documents, they must be saved in a .pdf file format.

Maundy Thursday Meaning

The past weeks have been full of mandates from our government: wear masks, stay home, social distance, etc. These mandates are meant to promote our wellness. Coincidentally, coinciding with our government’s wellness mandates this week is Maundy Thursday.  “Maundy” has the same Latin root as “mandate” and Maundy Thursday is a rite to help us remember Jesus’s mandate from this passage: “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

As I lay in bed drifting off to sleep, I watch the Maundy Thursday service on YouTube. I see my church’s alter and listen to the uplifting sermon from Father Hoke who, last year, buried my mother and blessed Ms. Elm. I am at peace, for I have abided the government mandates, fulfilled my business obligations by applying for all assistance and, just like Maundy Thursday intended, was reminded to love one another.

Peace my friends. Stay Strong, Act Smart, and Be Brave.